Soldiers and Sailors Civil War Monument
525 N. Main
The monument is located on the grounds of the old
Sedgwick County Courthouse. Built in 1911-1913, the monument is dedicated
to the Union soldiers and sailors who fought and died in the Civil War.
The monument, which was designed by Ernest Moore
Viquesney, is an eighteen-foot-square building, measuring
fifty feet in height from the base to the apex. On the roof of each elevation
is a full-size bronze statue representing one of the four branches of the
Union military: artillery, cavalry, infantry, and navy.
The statues were designed and cast by Fredrick
Cleveland Hibbard of Chicago. On top of the cupola is a fourteen foot Statue
of Liberty that was produced by the W. H. Mullins Manufacturing Company
of Salem, Ohio.
The Friends of the Sedgwick County Soldiers and
Sailors Civil War Monument was formed in 1997 to raise funds to restore
the monument and provide an endowment for its continued maintenance.
(Photo and text courtesy of the Kansas Historic
Preservation Office Newsletter, Vol. 20, No. 5)