Old Post Office and Federal Building

According to the Wichita postcard book, Peerless Princess of the Plains, "A Wichita resident by the name of George Blackwelder bought the northwest corner of Market and William in 1883 with the intention of building a roller skating rink on the site."

It never was built due to a declining popularity of that activity.

The land was sold to the federal government in 1886, and the Post Office and Federal Building was completed on the site by 1890. Constuction of a new Sedgwick County Courthouse on North Main Street was going on at the same time.

With its four stories above ground and its square tower rising another level above that, the post office was the tallest building in the city in 1890. It was constructed of Bedford Indiana limestone and was one of the first Wichita structures to have an elevator.

The main entrance fronted on Market Street across from the present State Office Building.

In 1932, a new Post Office and Federal Building was built at Main and Third. That new structure replaced the old building even though it was still structurally sound.

In spite of its good condition, the original Post Office and Federal Building was demolished and the present building constructed.

Several businesses have since occupied the site including, the Self Service Drug Store, a music store and presently the President's College School of Law.
Presidents_College.jpg (24576 bytes)