Research indicates that Reverend James M. Monroe built this Queen Anne style house in 1887 and it served as a parsonage for Monroe and succeeding ministers. Close to ten years later, John P. Mahan, a liquor merchant and local businessman, purchased the home.
The two-story wood frame structure features an exposed limestone foundation. The most distinguishing feature of the home is the large veranda with a balustrade of sawn balusters which run from the north bay window, across the front of the house and to the matching bay window on the south. The porch roof is supported by turned spindle posts with sawn wood brackets.
National Register Nomination: http://www.kshs.org/resource/national_register/nominationsNRDB/Sedgwick_MonroeMahanHouseNR.pdf