Robert E. Lawrence preempted the land where the Masonic Home now stands and in 1885 built a home on the corner of Seneca and Maple. In 1896, the Masonic Order and Order of the Eastern Star purchased the estate and used it as a retirement home for members until a fire destroyed the facility in 1916.
In 1917, a new facility was constructed, designed by Edward Tilton in the Mission architectural style. Completed in 1921, the buildings are known for their white stucco walls and red tile roof. Unfortunately, the majority of the complexs east side buildings have been razed over the past few years.