830 East First
(Keen Kutter) Building was constructed in 1905 by the St.
Louis-based Morton-Simmons Hardware Company. Built as a
distribution center for the company's line of "Keen
Kutter" products, the building was reported to have
contained more floor space than any other building in
Wichita, 80 thousand square feet.
Designed by the St. Louis Firm of
Mauran, Russell and Garden, the architecture of the building
incorporated both the Italianate and Romanesque styles. The
four-story, nine bay red brick building boasted an automatic
sprinkler system that included a 20 thousand gallon water tank
located 20 feet above the sprinkler heads "hidden" in
the cupola portion of the building. The 40-foot high square
cupola features a hipped roof with pairs of brackets flanking
circular window openings.