2700 S. Broadway
Opened in July
1931, Wichita's southern gateway is reportedly the
longest remaining "Rainbow Bridges" of James
Barney Marsh. The 800-foot span of reinforced concrete
consists of eight tied arches and is nationally
revered for its aesthetic and historical significance.
Named after John Mack of Newton, "the father of good
Kansas roads," Mack was a member of the Kansas State Highway
Commission. In 1991 the bridge was in danger of being
torn down through neglect, a community effort "Save
the John Mack Bridge Committee" was created to save
and restore the bridge to its former splendor. The effort
succeed and in 1992 the bridge was placed on the NRHP and
funds were allocated for its restoration.
For more information: http://members.cox.net/southwichita/John_Mack_Bridge.htm