|Built in 1887 by
Lewis W. Clapp, businessman, civic leader, one time
mayor, and developer of the City's park system. It was
the first structure constructed in the area that became
later known as "Clapp Compound." Designed in
the Queen Anne style by architects Terry and Hayward, the three-story
home features varied surfaces and multiple porches, Doric
porch columns, a slate roof, boxed eaves, dentilled cornice
trim and cornice brackets.
Extensive remodeling in 1907 included moving
the main entrance of the house to its present corner and
the addition of a massive wooden front door carved by Mr. Clapp.