Administration Building (Kansas Aviation Museum)
|Construction of the Art Deco-designed building
started in 1929 and was completed 1934 with the infusion of federal funds through New Deal
relief programs. The facility provided municipal air service to Wichita until 1951, when
Mid-Continent Airport was constructed in west Wichita. The building and its grounds were
then sold to the federal government.
Note the Deco-styled stone panels on the front facade in addition to the 37-foot cast stone mural designed by L. W. Clapp. The mural depicts the arrival of Charles Lindbergh onto the coast of Ireland. The building is now home to the Kansas Aviation Museum.
National Register Nomination: http://www.kshs.org/resource/national_register/nominationsNRDB/Sedgwick_AdministrationBuildingNR.pdf