Virginia, Nokomis and Navarre Apartments
401-405 E. Third St.
426 & 420 N. Topeka Avenue
The Virginia , Nokomis
and Navarre apartments, located near downtown
Wichita, were constructed to serve
the city's burgeoning professional
class during a period of rapid
population growth. In the eight
decades since their construction, the
apartments have housed hundreds of Wichita residents. The buildings' current rehabilitation, a project of
Wichita-based H.O.P.E., Inc., will ensure that the buildings will serve residents for decades to come. The buildings will house more than 50 low income housing units.
The Nokomis was built in 1924 and its twin, the Navarre, in 1925. The developer was Claude Neil and the contractor was John Denny. The Virginia was built in 1917; the developer was Elmer Reece and the contractor was Dieter and Wenzel.
(Information courtesy ot the Kansas Preservation Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 1, Jan/Feb 2001.)