"This two-story brick house, built in 1889 by George R.
Robbins, Wichita pioneer, was the first house built south of the
Arkansas River in Sedgwick County. Robbins homesteaded this land in 1869
in a sod house.
"Subsequent structures included a log cabin, a modest
frame structure that burned, and the existing brick house. The bricks,
handmade and fired in St. Louis, were originally intended for John
Bright University in Wichita. The university was never built and Robbins
purchased the brick for his home."