(The following is quoted from the Kansas Preservation newsletter, Kansas State Historical Society, Nov.-Dec. 2006, Vol 28, No. 6, p. 32)
"Built in 1924, Wichita’s Kaufman Building is significant for its association with Wichita’s role as a wholesale wheat trading center during the 1920s and as an example of architect-designed early twentieth-century fireproof commercial construction. Local entrepreneur Hilbert Kaufman commissioned the building in 1922 and hired the Chicago-based architecture firm of Eberson and Weaver to design his building.
"When it opened in 1924, the Kaufman Building provided office space for a growing number of wheat-related organizations and businesses that flocked to the community. In addition to Kaufman’s offices, 1925 occupants included the Kansas Co-op Wheat Marketing Association, the Kansas Wheat Growers Association, and theWheat Growers’ Journal. The Great Depression hit the Kansas wheat industry hard and by all of the wheat and grain-related businesses had moved out. Throughout the mid-twentieth century, the building continued to house a variety of business types, many of them related to oil production, insurance, and credit industries.
"It has been vacant since 1996. The exterior of the Kaufman Building represents the early twentieth-century Commercial Style. This style is most often seen in downtown commercial buildings from the 1910s and 1920s."