(Quoted from the Kansas Preservation Newsletter , Kansas State Historical Society, May-July 2007: http://www.kshs.org/resource/ks_preservation/kpmayjun07.pdf)
In the early 1920s, Charles M. Jackman, president and manager of the Kansas Milling Company, hired Wichita architect Lorentz Schmidt and contractor George Siedhoff to design and build his College Hill home. Located east of downtown, the College Hill area was developing into a neighborhood that was home to prominent area businessmen and their families. The College Hill area featured homes of popular early twentieth-century architectural styles, which by 1924 included Jackman’s Spanish Colonial Revival house at the corner of First Street and Roosevelt Avenue. The U-shaped house features a stucco exterior with a multicolored tile roof typical of the style. Interior features are exceptional, including the so-called “Indian Room” specifically designed to display Native American art and artifacts. Schmidt and Siedhoff, who often collaborated on projects, designed and constructed buildings throughout Kansas and surrounding states from the early 1900s to the 1950s.
Photo: DC & VC 1-08